COMMENT UNDERNEATH ARCHIVE POST TO "Links to this post"
Comment moderation

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

PART OF Paul & Stephanie's December Stroke Survivor Newsletter

NEWS: RESEARCH on Stroke Recovery & Rehabilitation:
Exercise Lowers Risk of Stroke

A new study of over 3,000 people in their late 60's living in New York City showed that over a 9-year period, men who participated in moderate to heavy exercise--jogging, swimming, tennis--were least likely to have a stroke, abouthalf the rate of the 41% of study participants who reported no physical activity.

The study authors from Columbia University Medical Center and New York Presbyterian Hospital at Columbia, suggest that lack of physical activity is common among urban seniors and increasing their activity should be a public health goal.

The study did not show significant benefits of moderate-to-heavy exercise among the women participants, or of light exercise, as in other studies. However, the authors noted that this may be due to the study limits.

To read a summary, visit:
http://tinyurl.com/NYC-Exer-Summary

To read the abstract:
http://tinyurl.com/NYC-Exer-Neuro-Abstract

For additional resources to help you find information on medical, health, rehabilitation, recovery, self-empowerment, and more, we have collected our favorite links at: http://www.strokesurvivor.com/resource_links.html.

*** ADVERTISE YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE IN OUR NEWSLETTER ***

Contact us at Paul@strokesurvivor.com or 703-241-2375. Special rates for newsletter & web: www.strokesurvivor.com!

*** Intensive Aphasia Therapy News ***
Group Session Online

As the readers of my newsletter know, I am continuing speech therapy with Bill Connors at the Pittsburgh Aphasia Treatment, Research and Education Center (PATREC).

I am in Virginia and Bill is in Pittsburgh, but I see him 3 times a week over the Internet using my webcam on Skype or ooVoo. I set my goals and the pace. I have lots of homework, most that I do alone on my own schedule.

This month, the group sessions are in full swing. I participate in 2 different groups, each meets once a week with full video-camera links, so we see all the participants at their computers. We practice speaking by each sharing a tip on living with stroke or aphasia. We also work on apraxia, pronouncing the whole word, and spelling by playing the old game where each player must think of a word that begins with the last letter of the previous player's word. For example, Bill says, "cake"--the last letter is "e", so I say "eat"--the next person must find a word starting with "t"--maybe "truck"-- and around we go, learning, improving, and having fun with people in 6 different towns.

My friends tell me they are impressed with my improvement. I enjoy Bill's innovative approach and tools at http://www.aphasiatoolbox.com.

For a complimentary consumer Q&A fact sheet, contact Bill Connors at bill@aphasiatoolbox.com or phone 724-494-2534.

PAUL’S TIPS FOR SURVIVORS:
Paying Bills with One Hand & Aphasia

This weekend's snow storm made me think about one more good reason to learn to pay bills on line. After my stroke, writing checks was difficult. I lost my ability to write with my right hand, my new left-handed printing was slow and sloppy, and my aphasia affected my spelling.

I started using Quicken many years ago. Stephanie helped me set up our routine bills and account numbers. I entered the specific payment amount, and printed out checks. I used a paperweight to hold down the bill so I could tear off the slip that was mailed back. I learned to stuff the slip and check into the envelope with one hand, and stick on the return address label and stamp. I paid bills twice a month, and each time I spent a few hours, even with Quicken. I felt good because I could help with this chore.

About a year ago, I switched to online banking. I still use Quicken so I can organize my budget and expenses for taxes. Quicken has an easy software internet connection with most banks.

First, Stephanie helped me set up online access with my bank. Then, we edited Quicken to be sure the correct addresses were entered. Then, I click on the bill to pay, type in the dollar amount, and send the bill off to be paid. No more checks to print, no slips to tear off, no
envelopes or stamps. And no trips to the mailbox or post office in bad weather!

Now, paying bills is very fast with one hand and aphasia. I feel great doing this by myself. If I
can do it, you can do it, too.

Other insights and tips for coping with life and taking control of your recovery after stroke are available on my website at http://www.strokesurvivor.com.

Do you have a tip to share? Send it to me at Paul@strokesurvivor.com for a free gift if we use it.
Stroke/Aphasia Reading problems?

After a stroke, many people have reading and other language problems, known as "aphasia." Hearing a sentence read aloud helps to understand it. You can hear this newsletter read
aloud while each word is highlighted on the computer screen with the FREE text reader software described at: http://www.strokesurvivor.com/disability_access.html

© Paul Berger and Stephanie Mensh
Authors of "How to Conquer the World With One Hand...
And an Attitude"
Positive Power Publishing
P.O. Box 2644,
Merrifield, VA 22116
703-241-2375
Email: Paul@strokesurvivor.com or
Stephanie@strokesurvivor.com

/\/\/\/\/\/\/
StrokeSurvivor.com

Part of Positive Power Publishing
P.O. Box 2644
Merrifield, Virginia
22116
US
PART OF Paul & Stephanie's December Stroke Survivor NewsletterSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget