COMMENT UNDERNEATH ARCHIVE POST TO "Links to this post"
Comment moderation

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Paul Berger & Stephanie Mensh’s Stroke Survivor NEWS & ATTITUDE FOR YOU - MAY 2010

Part of Paul's newsletter

===========================================================
Download 3 all-new E-books on Stroke & Aphasia
       Details below and at
       http://www.strokesurvivor.com/e-books.html
===========================================================

*** Register for National Aphasia Assn June Meeting ***

The National Aphasia Association will hold its biennial regional meeting, Speaking Out! Conference on Saturday,
June 12, from 7:30 AM - 4:45 PM at the National Rehabilitation Center, 102 Irving St NW, Washington, D.C.

       Registrations are due by May 28th. For information, visit http://www.aphasia.org/RegionalConference.html

Paul will be presenting on the panel session, "Living Successfully with Aphasia/EMPOWER." This conference has
been created specifically for persons with aphasia, their caregivers, professionals and students.

This year's Speaking Out! is co-sponsored by the National Rehabilitation Hospital, DC, and the The Stroke Comeback Center, Vienna, VA: http://www.strokecomebackcenter.org

===========================================================

2. PAUL’S TIPS FOR SURVIVORS:
       Physical Activity, Strain & Pain

I am an active person. I walk every day and exercise on a stationary bike for a cardio work-out 3 times a week. I
have a busy schedule of business meetings, networking, volunteering, socializing, and household chores.

Sometimes I twist wrong, pull too hard, stumble, strain a muscle, bump, bruise, and hurt. My right side is weak from the stroke, so my balance is off and I can trip over the lines on the sidewalk. A long walk or standing for 20-30 minutes can be painful. Here's what I do:

       * If it's bleeding, hurts a lot, is  swollen, or just doesn't look right, I go to my doctor or the emergency room. One time during my afternoon walk I didn't see a hole in the path, tripped, and sprained my right ankle. It swelled to 3 or 4 times the size of my other ankle, so I went to the ER.

       * Another time, I climbed into the car through the passenger door and over the stick shift, straining my hip and lower back. I went to a doctor of osteopathy (DO) for hands-on treatment.

       * My physical therapist gives me exercises to strengthen and stretch my right arm and leg, and the muscles in my back, side, and stomach.

       * Before I came home from the hospital, the PT showed me how to get up from a fall by moving my legs into position.

       * For pain, I take the over-the-counter pills that my primary care physician approved. Always talk to your doctor about what pain pills to take and how often, since these pills can interact with other medicine.

       * Sometimes for back and hip pain, I use a ThermaCare Heat Wrap under my clothes on a busy day. After dinner while watching TV, I use an electric heating pad.

       * Sometimes using the exercise bike hurts, so I reduce the time or skip a session.

Being active after a stroke is like the old escape artist, Harry Houdini. But I don't let the challenges or the pain stop me from enjoying life. If I can do it, you can do it, too!

Other insights and tips for coping with life and taking control of your recovery after stroke are available on my
website at http://www.strokesurvivor.com.

Do you have a tip to share?  Send it to me at Paul@strokesurvivor.com for a free gift if we use it.

===========================================================

4. PAUL'S FAVORITES:
       Hard-to-Reach Places
       Update on Reading

I can only use one hand, so in the shower I use a long- handled soft brush to reach my back and left arm. These are available at drug stores, bath shops, and online. To see one similar to the wood bristle back brush I use, visit:
http://tinyurl.com/shower-brush

       A few months ago, I purchased a Kindle from Amazon.com. I downloaded Tom Friedman's "Hot, Flat, and Crowded," a very intense non-fiction book about the world economy. I used the Kindle's read-aloud function (with an earplug) to help me read it. I'm proud to say that I just finished this 450 page book, and am ready to download my next book!

       Best of all, the Kindle solves the one-handed problem of holding a book open and trying to turn the page, especially when reading on a sofa or in bed--you click a button with one finger. It is small, and its battery lasts a long time. It's not cheap, but you can save over time because the e-books are less expensive than the print version. To learn more, visit: http://tinyurl.com/Kindle-view

For details on other Paul-tested helpful books and products, visit:http://www.strokesurvivor.com/reading_list.html and http://www.strokesurvivor.com/lifestyle_products.html
 

===========================================================
 
6. Stroke/Aphasia Reading problems?

After a stroke, many people have reading and other language problems, known as "aphasia." Hearing a sentence read aloud helps to understand it. You can hear this newsletter read aloud while each word is highlighted on the computer screen
with the FREE text reader software described at: http://www.strokesurvivor.com/disability_access.html

===========================================================

***FIND INSPIRATION AND SOLUTIONS AT STROKESURVIVOR.COM***

Stroke survivors, family, friends, professionals...anyone seeking inspiration, motivation, and more!

       Find books, audio-books, e-books, tapes, and special tools created for stroke recovery by stroke survivor- expert, Paul Berger at:  http://www.strokesurvivor.com/products.html

===========================================================
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       SPECIAL!!  3 ALL NEW E-BOOKS ON STROKE RECOVERY

       ***Excerpts, details, ORDER your copies:
       http://www.strokesurvivor.com/e-books.html ***

Make every day better for stroke survivors and caregivers with these great practical solutions & motivational tips available NOW to download ANYTIME, ANYWHERE !

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

       EXCELLENT REVIEWS:

       "I loved it! Paul's E-book is practical, informative, and easy to read.  An uplifting, must-read for all stroke survivors with aphasia. It 's just terrific and I think it fills an important void in the post-stroke literature." --Susan Ryerson, Neurological Physical Therapist, PT,  DSc, Alexandria, VA

       "I have been asking people for 30 years what helps and what doesn't work. I have recommended Paul's materials to my clients for years. This E-book adds new ideas and suggestions that are so very practical and useful." --Bill Connors, Founder and Director of the Pittsburgh Aphasia Treatment, Research and Education Center

       "The parts on getting out in the community were some of the best parts. It is important that stroke survivors try to live as normal a life as possible. This book lets stroke survivors recognize that they can have a quality life which is full and fulfilled." --Samuel Aylesworth, Stroke Survivor, Manassas, VA

       "Stephanie's E-book is well written, logically organized, easy to understand, and full of practical suggestions that should be helpful and encouraging to caregivers of stroke survivors. I particularly liked the examples of Stephanie’s real-life experiences."  - Janet M. Gritz, MA, CCC-SLP, founding member & consultant to Montgomery County Stroke Association

       "This E-book gives useful, practical advice from someone who's lived it. We're all overwhelmed a times, and Stephanie shows you, one step at a time,  how to get through the day and make the next day better."   - Gwen Flanders, partner of a stroke survivor
Paul Berger & Stephanie Mensh’s Stroke Survivor NEWS & ATTITUDE FOR YOU - MAY 2010SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget