Comment moderation

Friday, January 21, 2011


The International Aphasia Movement
recommends that you refer to the site below
and the attachment presented by
The New York Academy of Sciences
Music, Science and Medicine
Frontiers in Biomedical Research
and Clinical Applications
This is a landmark multidisciplinary 1- day conference
 being held on March 25, 2011

Caregiver Education and Support Conference

Quick Links
Join Our Mailing List
Frontotemporal Dementia & Primary Progressive Aphasia
Caregiver Education and Support Conference
Dear Adam,

The National Aphasia Association and The Association for Frontotemporal Dementias are proud to be a part of this important conference for both caregivers and persons with Primary Progressive Aphasia that is being hosted by Northwestern University's Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer's Disease Center.

The conference will be held Monday, March 21st, 2011 at The Robert H. Lurie Medical Research Center of Northwestern University in Chicago, IL.  The program will include a Keynote Address by Bradley F. Boeve, MD, a professor of Neurology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN; approaches to assessing and treating mood and behavioral symptoms by Deborah Reed, MD, assistant professor of Psychiatry at Northwestern University; a number of breakout sessions for caregivers, and so much more.

For more information, or to register to attend, please click here or paste into your web browser. 

We hope to see you in Chicago! 
Caregiver Education and Support ConferenceSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Specialty Aphasia Cafe

Announcement Header
Announcing the first Specialty Aphasia Communication Cafe:The Fine Art of Belgium Beer Making  Monday January 24, 7:30 pm - 9 pm est
We are expanding our online aphasia group program.   Last year we started the Aphasia Communication cafe, an online group of up to six people led by a person with aphasia.  These cafes have offered the opportunity for peer conversation, support, sharing of ideas, social engagement, leadership, and speech/language practice.   Cafe groups now meet 4 days a week.
In response to suggestions by cafe participants, we are adding Specialty Aphasia Cafes.  The first specialty cafe will be hosted by Mr. Roger Gulbanson from Cleveland OH.  Roger will be hosting a monthly group online discussing The Fine Art of Making Belgium Beers.  Roger is an expert in this craft of brewing Belgium beers.  He has studied with beer makers in Belgium.
The goals of the group are to :
1. Share information about crafting Belgium Beer;
2. Discuss Belgium Beers; 
3.  Discuss Belgium breweries; 
4.  Discuss Belgium food
There is no charge for participation in these cafes.  Participants need to have a computer with a webcam and internet access.  Registration is simple and can be completed at .    Feel free to contact me should there be any questions or comments.   
If any of people with aphasia are interested in hosting a specialty café, contact me. 
Bill Connors

Specialty Aphasia CafeSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Sunday, January 2, 2011

What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?

Speech-language Pathologists (SLPs), sometimes called speech therapists, assess, diagnose, treat, and help to prevent disorders related to speech, language, cognitive-communication, voice, swallowing, and fluency.
WORK SETTINGS:  They can work in a variety of settings including schools, clinics/private practice, rehabilitation, acute care hospitals, long term acute care hospitals, subacute and skilled nursing facilities.
In schools, SLPs work with children with a wide variety of communication disorders.  A typical caseload of a school SLP may include children with language delays/disorders, articulation disorders, autism, cerebral palsy, and mental retardation.  They may work in groups or individually to assist the individual with specific needs.
Individuals who go to a clinic or private practice for speech treatment are typically seen for an individual treatment session.  The typical caseload for private practices varies.  A private practice may specialize in certain disorders or treatment types.  The caseload can include adults and/or children with speech, language, cognitive, voice, swallowing or fluency disorders.
SLPs who work in an acute care center, will typically get referrals for a swallow evaluation or speech-language evaluation.  The most frequent doctor referral is for a swallow evaluation to diagnose and treat dysphagia, difficulty swallowing.  The SLP determines if a patient is safe to eat or requires a modified diet and may make referrals for alternative means of nutrition such as PEG tubes, NG tubes, etc.  Subacute and rehabilitation centers may focus more on treatment of the swallowing or communication disorder.  Patient caseload may include strokes, brain injury, medical fragile, trach/vent patients, cleft lip/palate, neuromuscular disorders.
TRAINING: To become a speech-language pathologist typically requires obtaining a Masters degree, either in Communication Disorders or Speech-Language Pathology.  Masters programs are between 40-72 credits depending on the masters program and previous course work.
At the end of the masters program or soon after, the PRAXIS exam is taking for speech-language pathology.  Each state has different standards for a passing score in order to work in each state.  You can take the exam in more than one state if you are planning on working in two different states.  If you move to a different state, make sure the score that you have is good enough for the new state.
During your masters program, you will have to obtain 300 to 375 hours of supervised clinical experience.  The masters program will typically set you up with different settings for you to work in to obtain a variety of experiences.  After you graduate, you will need to have  9 months of postgraduate professional clinical experience.  This is your CFY in which a certified speech-language pathologist will supervise you.  Try to obtain your CFY in the work setting that you are interested in.
State regulation of speech-language pathologists may differ for pathologists practicing in schools. For information on State regulation of speech-language pathologists in public schools contact your State’s Department of Education.
Obtaining your CCC’s: The Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) credential offered by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association is a voluntary credential; however, the CCC-SLP meets some or all of the requirements for licensure in some States. To earn a CCC, a person must have a graduate degree from an accredited university, which typically includes a 400-hour supervised clinical practicum, complete a 36-week full-time postgraduate clinical fellowship, and pass the Praxis Series examination in speech-language pathology administered by the Educational Testing Service.
ADVANCEMENT:  As speech-language pathologists gain clinical experience and engage in continuing professional education, many develop expertise with certain populations, such as preschoolers and adolescents, or disorders, such as aphasia and learning disabilities. Some may obtain board recognition in a specialty area, such as child language, fluency, or feeding and swallowing. Experienced clinicians may become mentors or supervisors of other therapists or be promoted to administrative positions.  Director of speech-language pathology or rehabilitation directors are promotional positions.  They may require knowledge of finances, performance improvement, and supervision.
SALARYSalary varies based on the location of the position, work setting and experience.  According to the Bureu of Labor Statistics, the median annual wages of speech-language pathologists were $62,930 in May 2008. The middle 50 percent earned between $50,330 and $79,620. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $41,240, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $99,220.
What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend